Nature in the city on Saturday February 24th. A full day dedicated to learning and sharing knowledge on how to take care of plants at Hortus Urbis, the garden with solely ancient Roman plants in the Appia Antica Park.
Zappata Romana proposes again this year events to increase environmental awareness and to give tools to the citizens who want to take action. Rome is changing thanks to the involvement of Roman citizens that take care of the urban green informally or officially, temporarily or permanently. In the last years the reclaimed urban areas in the city have grown to be over 200.
NATURA IN CITTA’ is an event that aims at sharing the skills of our city’s excellences making them accessible to all offering the opportunity for advice on gardening, ecological practices, to widen the urban community’s “green” knowledge.
Book one of the many courses of the day:
- BASKET WEAVING COURSE (I° and II° LEVEL): course on how to make your own basket in just a one day to take home. Paid admission, reservation needed. From 9 am to 5 pm.
- GARDENING COURSE: first of the seven lessons of the gardening course. Paid admission, reservation needed. From 10 am to 1 pm.
- SKILL SHARING FRUIT TREES PRUNING, lesson with demonstration by the Orto botanico gardeners on fruit tree pruning. Free admittance, reservation needed. From 11 am to 1 pm.
- SKILL SHARING OPEN LESSON ON ROSES, lesson with demonstration by the ISA specialist of the Roseto Comunale on rose pruning. Free admittance, reservation needed. From 3 pm to 5 pm.
- THE SECRETS OF THE GARDEN’S ANCIENT ROMAN PLANTS, guided tour of the Hortus Urbis, an educational garden near the river Almone and the Appia Antica way, the Regina Viarum. The project is innovative not only for the chosen theme regarding solely ancient Roman plants, its educational target, but also for the way it was chorally built and is maintained with the generous contribution of many citizens and local realities who decided to dedicate their efforts in recovering abandoned areas in Rome for the community. From 4 pm to 5 pm
Twitter: @zappataromana – #HortusUrbis
HOW TO REACH US
Hortus Urbis at the former paper mill “ Cartiera Latina”, via Appia Antica, 42 /50 (near the fountain)
Bike: Cristoforo Colombo bike route and Circonvallazione Ardeatina.
Bus: 118 on the Appia Antica (Domine Quo Vadis stop) or 30express, 2018, 714 and 715 (Cristoforo Colombo/Bavastro stop or Cristoforo Colombo/Circonvallazione Ostiense stop) and then short walk along the Circonvallazione Ardeatina in the Scott Park.
Car: parking at via Carlo Conti Rossini, Largo Gavaligi, via Omboni, via Scott and surroundings and then short walk along the Circonvallazione Ardeatina in the Scott Park.